Spinach and Cottage Cheese Baked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 250 gm tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of brown sugar
- 500 gm spinach leaves, blanched and drained
- 500 gm cottage cheese, sliced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bread Crumb Topping: Toss together bread crumbs, salt and pepper; sprinkle 1 tablespoon oil and toss to evenly coat. Set aside.
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; add onions and garlic and fry, stirring, until onions are softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in garam masala, cumin, salt and pepper; fry for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in tomatoes and ½ cup water; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and sugar; remove from heat.
- Brush a baking dish with oil. Coarsely chop spinach; lay evenly on bottom of dish.
- Lay cottage cheese slices on spinach; top with tomato sauce, then Bread Crumb Topping.
- Bake in the centre of 400°F/200°C oven until bread crumbs are browned and sauce is bubbling, about 20 minutes.