‘The rise’ after a fall
So what can you do in case of a fall?
Remember RICE: These four steps, if effectively followed, can significantly reduce the healing time of the affected tissue, and can prevent the worsening of the injury.
Rest – The injured area is likely to manifest with pain and swelling. It is imperative to avoid any movement of the affected area to prevent worsening of the injury, and also to facilitate the healing process.
Ice – Immediate application of ice at the affected site will reduce the amount of swelling that can develop at the injured site. It also reduces the pain.
Compression – Use a crepe bandage to apply gentle compression at the affected site. This will help in immobilizing the affected part and also reduce the pain and swelling.
Elevation – Elevating the affected part wil also help in reducing the swelling at the affected site.
What not to do:
1) No maalish/massage of the injured site
2) Avoid hot fomentation or dipping in hot water-this can increase the swelling of the affected site
3) Do not try and move to ascertain the range of movements
4) Avoid weight bearing on the affected limb
5) Do not try and reposition a deformed limb on your own
Medications to relieve pain:
1) Use local analgesic applications in the form of spray or gel
2) Use analgesic tablets only on recommendation of the physician