Vegetable Au Gratin
- 2 cups assorted diced vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, green beans, peas, baby potatoes, asparagus, etc.)
- 30 gm butter, and 1tsp extra
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 30 gm flour
- 250 ml cup warm milk
- 50 gm grated cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400o F.
- Lightly steam vegetables until cooked.
- Melt 30 gm butter in a medium saucepan over moderate heat.
- Remove pan from heat and add nutmeg.
- Stir in the flour.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Return pan to heat and bring to a light boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for one minute until sauce is thick and smooth.
- Add salt, pepper and half of the grated cheese.
- Add the vegetables and mix well.
- Spoon the vegetables into a buttered baking dish. Cover with remaining cheese and dot with one tsp butter.
- Bake for twenty-five minutes until top is golden brown.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot.